Friday, August 17, 2007

Reservation not required

Regrettably it's been several days since my last post. It seems like time is flying by, though I want this month to chug along a bit more.

Aya had her Math Placement test on Tuesday the 14Th, the experience was odd according to my wife. She was brought to the school in the morning and there were about 15 students awaiting to take the test in the lobby or cafeteria. My wife asked Aya to go sit with the other students waiting, but she froze - didn't want to go in to sit with the other students. My wife had to ask Aya 3 times before she moved, ever so hesitantly.

Finally the Math teacher came down to greet the students and told them they had to proceed up to the 3rd floor; all but Aya started walking towards the stairs. My wife told her she had to go with the students and that she couldn't go with her or support her during the test. I don't know why she thinks there will be someone with her during her testing or schooling, though we've explained that to her already. I am guessing she's got 2nd thoughts about all this, but wants to suceed.

That evening I spoke with Aya, asking her about the test. She said it was little difficult because there were some word problems, but the answer sheet were (fill in the circle) multiple choice which made it easier. The questions (equations) were fairly easy she said (as I knew this since her math back in Japan seemed to be like 1st or 2nd year of college here).

Aya seems a little more relaxed now, however a little more reserved when it comes to certain situations. She does the dishes every night and shares that responsibility with one of our daughters, switching between rinsing or washing.

We sat down one night and created a chore list and either assigned or asked for volunteers from the children (ours and the exchange student). Granted we don't have a lot, my own kids make it seem like it's the end of the world and I am driving them to the bone. Sadly I had double their chores when I was their age as I am sure my parents had triple mine; we seem to be breeding children who expect more and do less with each generation.

Aya says she's lives in the country side, but somehow I don't envision that being an island and near cities and tourists year round. Who am I to argue, I've never been, but can view on a map (I've tried Google Earth, but it doesn't show a lot of detail in other countries as well as North America).

The other night I started to practice her English again, but I think she didn't really review the words nor looked up the definitions as we talked about. Not sure if she's becoming lazy, bored, forgetful or has this feeling that she may miraculously do well and doesn't need to review anything.

She seems to retreat to her room often; sometimes reading some Japanese subject books (little guide books from her High School or write in her daily journal), sometimes napping through parts of the day.

During some of our discussions, I get the feeling she goes places all the time with her friends back home and must have envisioned her stay in America to be the same (New York & Boston) or any other major city in the United States. Many things to do in those cities, where as in the small town of United States, we've got corn, woods and the activities she's used to are missing. Shopping, mall walking, arcades, beaches, hanging out where there are a lot of people, movie theaters and bus/train stations.

I don't feel my sole purpose here is to keep her entertained, but I try to keep her comfortable.

I've tried to explain to her this isn't really a site-seeing trip or vacation, this is a one-year sink or swim in an American High School taking American studies: U.S. History, Literature etc. all in English, taught by English teachers. She assured me she understood, but still acts nervous when we discuss it.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I have not actually tried the noodles in a can. I have to say that i would like to try them but we don't have them here. In fact, until more recently they were only in one small, but populated area of Tokyo. I can't imagine that they are good for you, but they sure would be nice during random hunger now and then.

I think Aya probably doesn't study because she is overwhelmed. Not because of an inflated sense of ability, or just plain laziness. When you are living in another country for the first time your find yourself tired and overwhelmed a lot. This is not because of jet lag or anything, it's because your brain has to work extra hard to process the things it's used to handling very easily. When someone says something to you in your native language it's automatically processed, but when you hear something in another language you have a huge amount of extra weight being hauled around.

When i first came to live in Japan, i was tired for literally the first 6th months no matter how much i slept or exercised. At times i still find myself tired just because of trying to understand Japanese. This can be a big obstacle to adjusting, but is just part of the learning process. Give her time.

I think her journal writing is probably a very good thing for her. It is a good way for her to get rid of some of the pressure on her to preform by everyone around her and everyone back home. It would be great to encourage her to write those journals and be very positive with her during the time you speak to her about learning English and she will turn out ok.

Did you or her hear about the plane in Okinawa's airport? Everyone turned out ok but a huge plane caught fire yesterday. It was all over the news here.

Brian S said...

Hi Eric,
Yes I noticed it as soon as I saw it on the CNN web page. She was surprised briefly, but as soon as I told her people got out safely, it didn't seem to be a big concern for her.

I imagine it was all over the news over there.