Monday, August 13, 2007

Eve before Math placement

The past couple of days have been leisurely for the family, where as I started work on Sunday so I wouldn't say it was exactly fun for me (12hr Days).

Last night I noticed Aya preparing for her Math Placement on Tuesday. I gave her several old text books I found that my wife had in her General Studies courses for Algebra I/II which Aya said she had done a while ago in grade school - and would have to brush up.

She also has this booklet, sort of a guide book in Japanese for Math that she used in the High School back in Okinawa. I couldn't read it, only could see the equations and some of the examples (which is what she said our text books look to her when she is trying to study).

The English is more complex for math books than what a normal text book would have and for her to understand a "Word Problem", will be a problem unto itself.

Currently she said she's doing Calculus but didn't seem to versed in Trigonometry and Statistics and Probability. Quite honestly its been many moons since I've laid eyes on problems like those and I would be drawing a big fat zero on my test, if I were to take it.

After I came home tonight I was trying to prepare her for English understanding.
For example:
I choose a text book on management skills and read excerpts (basically one or two sentences at at time) to have her listen then write (print) them on a notebook, then later check her auditory skills and to digest and reproduce to the best of her ability. I had also had her underline the bigger words or words in general that she didn't understand. This way she will be forced to look up the definition and maybe have a chance to review it later.

Oddly enough, she didn't learn cursive and prints everything - including her name. As I found out when we went to get her bank account the other day. They said sign here and sign here...
There was an odd silence as she printed her name in both places. Fortunately, then second bank accepted her application and allowed her to sign in her native Kanji.

I am not sure if this is a tried and true method, but I want to give her a fighting chance during her stay with us and if she wants to be able to hang with the homies at the school and keep up with teacher/student interaction.

I will have to wait until tomorrow night to find out how she faired on the test and what and if the teacher(s) had any input as to her ability to follow / understand directions well.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Brian,

I think in Public School Law, all her tests are supposed to be in her native tongue. This would be the only way for her true knowledge. If you want to teach her English, you should start with the simple, every day things. Immersion is the best way to learn English. And sometimes learning to speak the language is very different from comprehending. Speaking comes first, comprehension last. Start with the simple basics and lighten up a bit and dont be so nervous, it might make her more nervous.

Brian S said...

I am doing my best not to show my concern, but I can't help feeling this way - knowing what the school is expecting from them.

I did speak to a few guys at work, whom were from foreign countries and couldn't believe how a school in the United State can be so closed minded and not allow a growth period. They said these students will return to their home countries and bring back how American Schools seem to be narrow minded and expect them all to know/speak perfect English.

Where as I imagine if an American student takes a language course and goes to a foreign country, he/she will struggle even more I think if he/she was forced to take all the subjects in that countries language with little tolerance.