Sunday, August 5, 2007

Come bearing gifts.

I worked today and returned home to find the family waiting for me.
Not really to see me, but so I could finish my re-warmed meal and clear the table, in order for Aya to present us with gifts she brought as a "Thank You" for hosting me.

We were quite pleased and surprised with the variety.
(We really weren't expecting anything - seemed to break the ice a little more)

- Men / Woman's Yukata's


- T-Shirts
- Okinawan cookies (CHINSUKOU)




- A poster of Hiragana (alphabet as it were) but with a twist
It had this normal everyday words, plus the Okinawan word for the same thing.
- Origami
- O-Hashi's (many types)
- Maps and site-seeing pamphlets
- Other items

The children were quite tired, as my eldest daughter spent the past 2 days at a campground with her friends (which means being up all night girl-talk) and today they rode bikes around the neighborhood.

Anticipation is growing for the Orientation this Wednesday at the High School. I gave our student, Aya some math books to look over (older books from our High School/College years) just to refresh since next week she has to take a Math Placement test.

It seems reading the Math instructions and word problems will be challenging. It seems they are familiar with the Math and may even be taking some at higher levels - but its hard to say.

Personally I think it would be best, if we could or the school could get examples of homework and lessons from her High School and we could bridge the gap and compare what she will be getting here.

No comments: